Tuesday, February 7, 2023

BUCKET LISTS, MUSIC YOU CAN HEAR IN HEAVEN, AND OTHER SPECULATIONS

The Plains of Heaven by John Martin

 "Nacho, nacho man; I want to be a nacho man!"

Or is "mocha man" a more accurate description of me?

I'll confess: Seeing the Village People live would be on my bucket list, though it would be lower on the list. Hearing the Daniel Band and Idle Cure and Little River Band would all be higher on the list. So would hearing several classical compositions performed live, such as Mendelssohn's Reformation and Lobesang (Hymn of Praise) symphonies, Tchaikowski's Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture, Bruckner's Romantic Symphony and his Te Deum, Wagner's Flying Dutchman Overture, and of course my favorite symphony: Beethoven's 7th.

However, Russell Moore pointed out the philosophical problems with bucket lists for Christians. It presupposes that there are things on this earth that we'll miss out on if we don't see them before going to heaven. After all, isn't heaven so much more wonderful than anything here? If we missed something on earth, won't there be something even better in heaven? By the way, Moore did suggest that you visit the pyramids if you want to see them, because Scripture hints they may not be around during the Kingdom.

Now, I would love to see the Village People in heaven. Did you understand what I just wrote? First off, I'd like to see them (and everybody else) there; I don't want anybody going to the other place (though I do believe that other place exists and those who continue in their treasonous sin without turning to God for forgiveness through Christ's sufficient and completed sacrifice). That said, I'd also love to hear them perform, though I think the songs they'd do in concert in the Kingdom would not include the hits they're known for down here (I'll admit I'd love to hear "In The Navy" live).

I do know some of Little River Band are Christians, so I would not be surprised to get to hear them perform. I do know I can meet the members of Daniel Band and Idle Cure; the question is if there will be electric guitars in the kingdom, or if all the sets would be unplugged.

Of course, orchestras are already unplugged. I would not be surprised to see Mendelssohn direct the two symphonies mentioned above, and maybe have him do a duet with Charles Wesley on "Hark The Herald Angels Sing." Same is true with Bruckner conducting his "Te Deum" (Latin for "Thee, O God, We Praise).

But what about the others? I have no idea of Tchaikowski's faith. Wagner, however, inspired some of Hitler's beliefs. Beethoven on his death bed heard lightning and sat up shaking his fist at heaven. Would their music be played in the Kingdom? After all, even if they weren't among the saints, their music was at worst neutral and at best causing the listeners to praise God for allowing that music to be composed.

And so I go into territory that I believe the Bible is silent and there is no evidence on one side or the other except to be grounds for theological/philosophical discussion. I am blessed by the beauty of the works I mentioned. Same is true with the theme of Chariots of Fire. Due to the story of Eric Liddell, Christians love that song. But composer Vangelis dedicated that theme to the Greek god Pan.

The question? Would music composed by unbelievers but beloved for its beauty be performed in heaven? I mean, Mendelssohn or Bach would be able to conduct that music. Or will any memory of unsaved performers be destroyed, including their musical masterpieces?

What are you looking at me for? Do you think I have the answer? None any better than yours. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment