Friday, March 4, 2022

BOOK REVIEW: WILDERNESS DEFENDER BY MAGGIE K. BLACK

  

I have read a lot of Love Inspired Suspense - this was #43. All of them I have enjoyed, but there are a few that rise above the others. This is one of those.

This is the second installment of the eight part Alaska K-9 Unit series. As those who have read these continuation series know, there are some loose ends from book one (Alaskan Rescue by Terri Reed) which won't be tied up till the later books. While it would help to read part one, it's not necessary to enjoy this tale.

First of all, I'm a Stormy fan. There are certain breeds I expect in series like this; an Irish Wolfhound like Stormy is an example. If she's typical of the breed, and I could afford to feed a large dog like that and give her a place to run, I'd want one.

As veteran readers know, though, the dog is always part of the supporting cast. The focus is always on the male and female leads. Poppy and Lex were very enjoyable characters. The plot is also quick paced and full of twists. Then, you have a villain worthy of a good story like this.

The only weakness is that the main characters do a lot of praying. Some reviewers of Part 1 complained it was too Christian, and they'd complain about this one, either unaware or ignoring that Love Inspired Suspense is a Christian fiction series. To me, the feeling I get is that the author needed extra words in their word count and while not preachy, it did distract from the story. My opinion only.

I make a list of favorite novels I've read each year. This is the end of January and I have a lot of reading to go, but this will have to be an out-of-the-world year in stories for this not to make my top ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment