Thursday, February 10, 2022

SHALL WE GO COUNTER-CULTURAL AND GO WITHOUT? - A STUDY ON ROMANS 14 PART 10 OF 11

Manley's Irish Mutt Pub & Eatery, Indianapolis

Does anybody agree with me that we are plagued with an entitlement mentality here in the U.S.A.? Wait, let me rephrase that: Does anybody NOT agree with me that we are plagued with an entitlement mentality here in the U.S.A.? I didn't think so.

On one hand, American culture would love the concept of Christian Liberty, where each individual is encouraged to be themselves and to enjoy non-sinful items (that is, items they are not convicted are sin). But as you probably know (if you don't either you haven't read the previous 9 installments of this series or I've done a terrible job with my presentation) the passages promoting Christian liberty encourage not practicing that Christian liberty if it offends a fellow believer.

In both Romans 14:14 and 14:20, Paul states something that seems to contradict the Old Testament dietary laws: Nothing is unclean of itself. His point? The Gentile who grew up on bacon wrapped lobster dinners ate nothing unclean, because he never read Leviticus 11. Paul echoes that statement in 1 Timothy 4:3-5 and Titus 1:15.

However, Paul also pointed out that to the Jew steeped on the Mosaic dietary codes would consider that bacon wrapped lobster unclean, and with that conviction, that tasty item would be unclean to him. So if the Gentile became a Christian and joined the Jew for a lunch and knew the Jew considered his usual to be unclean, Christian love would be getting a chicken sandwich to avoid offending him.

In verse 21, Paul said it was good to never eat meat or drink wine or do anything by which a brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak. It's kind of interesting that this is the only place in the discussion where alcohol is mentioned. Some Christians believe it is wrong to drink. I don't. However, that doesn't mean I'm going to dirnk. I've always wanted to try a Mint Julep or a Grasshopper because I love mint, and they have mint. Have I ever had one? Unless you count the non-alcoholic Julep they have on New Orleans Square at Disneyland or the Keebler mint and chocolate cookie, no, and I probably never will. Not because it's a sin, but I don't want to either offend a believer who is convinced it is a sin or  introduce temptation to a new Christian who struggled with alcohol in the past.

I have one more installment after this, but permit me to use Manley's Irish Mutt as an example of things to think about with Christian Liberty. 

Being a dog lover, that name grabs my interest. The menu looks interesting as well. I could get a Baja Fish Taco or a Thai Shrimp Taco, though I might be as predictable as I can be and get a Chicken Parmesan sandwich or a BBQ or Buffalo Chicken Pizza. If you noticed the picture, though, the place identifies itself as a pub. The menu lists drink specials for each day of the week. 

So is it wrong for me to stop by the Irish Mutt and have a Thai Shrimp Taco and a Coke?

Let me give some issues to think about:

  • Is there a difference between going to a bar that serves good food (Irish Mutt, Applebee's) and a restaurant that serves alcohol (Cracker Barrell, Pizza Hut, most Mexican restaurants)?
  • If the Irish Mutt the only place I can get Thai Shrimp Tacos, is it fine to get it to go on occasion?
  • Does it change the answer between a) going by myself, b) inviting a friend who has no problem with going or c) being invited by someone else?

Of course I can give you my thoughts, but:

  1. It's too easy for me to give you my answers. You need to answer this yourself.
  2. In answering this after thinking about Christian Liberty, you might discover that the answer you would have previously given might have some weaknesses for you to wrestle with.
I'm looking forward to hearing your answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment