Sunday, February 13, 2022

RACIAL RECONCILIATION SUNDAY, 2022

 

I remember a few years ago seeing a calendar for events from the Southern Baptist Convention. Well, let's say I noted them in an on-line calendar I had. That's different from remembering, because I had forgot I did it. That is, until I noted the calendar yesterday.

When I was a member of an Assembly of God church in the '80's, I observed the denomination's weekly magazine declaring each week to have a special designation. Southern Baptists aren't different though to be fair, there might be other groups observing the same days. For example, the third Sunday in January is Sanctity of Life Sunday. In this case, the second Sunday in February is Racial Reconciliation Sunday.

As I changed my profile picture as I do at times, I also look at various frames for that photo. Surely somebody did a frame for Racial Reconciliation Sunday. Anybody? No? You mean I have to create one for next year?

As with any reconciliation, it takes two parties who, as it says in Philippians 2:4, look out not only for their own interests but those of others. In the reference, it appears to be talking about the individual, but it can also apply to your "tribe", whether we're talking skin color, nationality, gender, political party, church denomination, theology, alma mater, sports team, favorite cola, etc. 

Now some people will give a hearty "Amen" when I speak of the need for reconciliation (allow me to be speaking of any form of reconciliation, including but not limited to racial). However, they have a different picture than I do on a couple of issues:

  1. They don't think I'm making enough effort, and that I should give at least 100% of my energy to it, though probably more than that.
  2. They also disagree with me that they should make ANY effort. 

Do they want reconciliation? Not really. They would rather have power. They want control. They want to dictate the terms of agreement.

Let me state: Racism is real and a bigger problem than most whites are aware of. Some of that is conscious prejudice and some of it is unaware. And Christians are called to speak out against that evil. 

However, is it possible that words like "racism," "sexism," and "homophobia" are used in situations they don't fit and become a form of bullying? 

You may have heard about Dr. Chanequa Walker-Barnes' prayer to help her hate white people. Could she have a legitimate reason for the anger? Yes. Should we listen and learn? But is this aiding racial reconciliation? Is judging white people because of their skin color any different than us treating people with dark skin as inferior? I doubt it. Us vs. Them never solves the problem.

I've heard people comment that the most segregated places are churches on Sunday morning. Is this an example of racism? Not really. Sometimes it is based on who lives close to a church. Other times, it is people normally feeling more comfortable with people like themselves. The churches I've been in are welcoming of people of different races and nationalities (a former church had Korean, Filipino, and Mexican attenders as well as an African-American) yet are still pre-dominately white. But the key is being willing to welcome anybody.

What are you doing to promote Racial Reconciliation? Are there things we should start doing we currently aren't, or things we are doing that are a hindrance to this goal? How do we keep moving forward to this goal in spite of those who favor power to true reconciliation?

The ERLC (Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission) of the Southern Baptist Convention are strong advocates for Racial Reconciliation. If you are interested in additional resources, click here for a list from the ERLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment