Tuesday, February 1, 2022

DOUBTFUL DISCERNMENT? RARE OCCURRENCE? I DOUBT IT. - A STUDY ON ROMANS 14, PART 1 OF 11

At Louisville Zoo

 

 I'm starting a study on Romans 14. In the next two installments, I'll be dealing with the context of this chapter and how it relates to the chapter. Today, I'll just give "a brief introduction." How many believe it will be brief? Well, I'll let you be the judge of it.

First, though, let me give the first verse of this chapter in some different versions:

  • "Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things."  NKJV
  • "Now as for a person whose trust is weak, welcome him - but not to get into arguments over opinions." The Complete Jewish Bible  
  • "Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions." NASB
  • "Accept other believers who are weak in faith, and don’t argue with them about what they think is right or wrong." NLT
Last but not least, I'd like to share my favorite, the rendering of the Jubilee Bible 2000:
  • "Bear with the one who is sick in the faith, but not unto doubtful discernment."
I love that phrase, "doubtful discernment." Looking at the internet, I see a whole lot of "doubtful discernment." There are a lot of brothers and sisters in Christ who consider themselves great at discerning, some of which call themselves Heresy Hunters. But whether it edifies or strengthens the body of Christ is very doubtful.
 
In dealing with Christian Liberty, the classic places are Romans 14 and 1 Corinthians 8-10. Both places (and especially 1 Corinthians in dealing with the self-centered, divided brethren) strongly speak about being willing to cast aside our freedom so we don't make our brothers and sisters to stumble. That is important. But Romans 14 also deals with those who are judgmental and contemptuous toward those who disagree with them.
 
I hope you are blessed by this devotional series. But let me ask: Are you falling into the trap of doubtful discernement? Or, as our swimming friend above, are you bearing with the weak in faith?

 

2 comments:

  1. I think it does more to divide the body than to edify anyone. Who wants a non essential doctrine forced down their throat? Only someone who loves controversy and has to win an argument at any cost. So many self righteous internet theologians. I see this a lot with cults, who try to twist scripture to fit their misconstrued version of Christ. But also with Christians who vehemently defend their particular non essential view, mainly on “can a Christian lose their salvation?” “ The Law”, and “is speaking in tongues for today?” It ruins the sweet aroma of fellowship among believers in my opinion. But, hey, it does let you argue away your life on the internet, hoping you can. straighten out the foolish misguided baby Christians.

    ReplyDelete