Tuesday, October 15, 2024

CURIOUS WHAT MY FAVORITE PODCASTS ARE?

 

Emblem for Google Podcasts Manager, unfortunately no longer available.

A while back, I asked if I should start a Pod Cast. Obviously (I'm guessing), I haven't. But what Podcasts do I listen to? Which would I be interested in that I can't get on my server? What is a draw for me to get interested in a Podcast?

I could build up a lot of suspense and make you read through a lot of stuff, but I'll start with the first one, and tell you what I do listen to, in alphabetic order.


1. Bible Study For Adults. This podcast is designed for leaders and students who are using this topical approach from Lifeway Publishers (Southern Baptist Convention). Each quarter is divided into two parts. The first part of this quarter was "Thrive: Living On Purpose, and they just started "Navigating Family Conflict."


2. Explore The Bible. This has a lot in common with the above, basically because like "Bible Study for Adults," it is from Lifeway Publishers. The difference between the two is that this one goes through books. For example, as I write this they're in their second quarter on the book of Acts, with the previous quarter doing the first 12 chapters, and the remaining 16 this quarter.


3. The Gospel Project. How many of these podcasts are connected to Lifeway? Only three, but putting them in alphabetic order has Lifeway's three curriculums at the top. The Gospel Project is similar to Explore The Bible, except it goes through the Bible through the course of three years. This quarter, they just got started in Genesis. There is a difference between this Podcast and the others: This one is aimed solely at teachers. It has one hostess instead of two or three people talking about the lesson. It tends to be shorter as well.

4. Lithoscry (aka Ravens Cry). Hosted by Glenn Remsen. Those who have followed my blog will recognize that name. I interviewed Glenn earlier this year. (
Click here to see the interview) Most of the interviewees are Christian rock and metal bands, though there are others as well, such as Richard Blackaby from Experiencing God and "The Chosen" creator Dallas Jenkins. 

5. Reconstructing Faith. Back to Southern Baptists! Trevin Wax from the North American Mission Board hosts this two semester (at this point) series about how to strengthen the church. This one is more like a news series, with various interviewees, soundbites, etc. 

6. The Reformed Libertarian Podcast. This is put out by the Libertarian Christian Institute (who also have their own podcast), and is hosted by Kerry Baldwin and Gregory Baus. I find it interesting combining Reformed Theology with Libertarian Political Philosophy. One note - both hosts are Anarchists, believing we would be better off without government. Still don't buy it, but still listen.

7. Thru The Bible With Dr. J. Vernon McGee. This is one I listen to on the website rather than a podcast channel, and I'm basically keeping up with the current radio broadcasts. Dr. McGee goes through the Bible every 5 years, alternating between Old and New Testaments. For example, he just finished Titus and Philemon and started on Daniel. Dr. McGee is no longer with us, but the program has been going on, not just here in the U.S. but around the world.


8. Unshaken Faith.
This is hosted by Alisa Childers and Natasha Crain. Both have their own Podcasts. I enjoy them working together, dealing with Christian Worldview and modern society. The past few weeks, they've been dealing with the After Party and its shortcomings. 

What other podcasts am I interested? Well, when I get caught up with some of these, I'll add Child Evangelism's Fellowship One:Seven to the rotation. I have interest in the podcasts by Alisa Childers, Allie Beth Stuckey, Natasha Crain, Russell Moore, Will Cain, Libertarian Christian Institute, and The Catch with John Fisher. Plus, my friend Eddie Kross has one coming out tomorrow!

However, one drawback. I subscribed to Podcasts on Google Podcasts. Google Podcasts decided to stop operating, and transferred my podcasts to YouTube. They stay on my list, but should I search for one that wasn't already on my roster - e.g. Natasha Crain - or if I cancel one to time and then decide to resubscribe - e.g. The Catch with John Fisher - I find I'm unable to get them on YouTube. 😢 So I'm debating changing to Spotify or Apple (let me know if you have any suggestions). By the way, I listen to them on my phone at work. 

What interests me? Well, it helps if I'm familiar and have a positive opinion of them. True, it will help to hear divergent views, but not while I'm working!  One major thing is the length of time. Raven's Heart and Reconstructing Faith are hour long, but I prefer half an hour or less, The Lifeway curriculum podcasts, Thru the Bible, and Unshaken Faith consistently hit that time constraint, and Reformed Libertarian varies but often is that short.

I rarely get comments, but does anybody following this have any favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment