Thursday, October 10, 2024

BOOK REVIEW - "BATMAN: ONE BAD DAY - THE RIDDLER #1," WRITTEN BY TOM KING, ILLUSTRATED BY MITCH GERADS



 Which is the first Batman villain you remember? For me, it was the Riddler. Frank Gorshin played Batman's opponent in the first two episodes of the '60's TV series and was in 8 of the 34 episodes of season 1 (the Joker and the Penguin had a half dozen each in that first season, and the Catwoman only appeared in two). My all time favorite villain was Gorshin's Riddler (I was disappointed with John Astin's take on the role in the second season). I will admit that I am not a Jim Carrey fan, but I enjoyed his portrayal in Batman Forever. That being said, I had NEVER seen him in the limited comic book viewing I've done.

Needless to say, we're not in the '60's anymore, and "Batman: One Bad Day - The Riddler" is proof of that. I would grade this story with a D: Dark, Depressing, Disgusting, Deplorable, Disconcerting, Disappointing. The story is interesting, and gives some of Edward Nygma's back story, but it left me torn between being sympathetic to the abuse he faced as a boy and utterly despising a totally evil character.

If this is what modern Batman is like, I'd rather stay with the past.


No comments:

Post a Comment