Tuesday, January 23, 2024

THOUGHTS ABOUT THE PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARIES/CAUCUSES

Declaration of Independence by John Trumbull

Ready for one of those blogs where I give a few thoughts? Well, this will be one of those!

POINT 1 - I don't know how much of a real contention this was, but I read one (only one) article saying that Biden wanted the first Democratic primary to be South Carolina instead of the long standing tradition of it being New Hampshire. The reason? They wanted to give a state with more diversity like SC to start the campaign as opposed to one with less diversity like NH. 

As I said, I only saw one article on it, and nothing on television or elsewhere, so it may not have been as contentious as the article made it. Possibly, the Democrats for a change saw it as I did. The fact is that if a person believes in diversity, they don't need to create diversity for people to know it. 

POINT 2 - One thing that has been true and still is - sometimes I strongly disagree with something Trump says or does but then realize Trump is more reasonable than I thought. Latest example deals with his absence from the debates, especially when I heard him say that he would be glad to do the debates when it's down to him and one challenger.

After all, what will entering the debates do to help Trump? He's leading the polls. He has a target on his back. And his views are known. He has no need to take on a half-a-dozen contenders. But he is willing when it's one on one. I might prefer him being at the debates, but I can see his point.

POINT 3 - We have not had a rematch in consecutive elections in over a century, since Cleveland and Benjamin Harrison faced each other in 1888 and 1892 with the incumbent losing both times, and then McKinley defeating William Jennings Bryan in 1896 and 1900. I, unfortunately, see all indications that unless something drastic happens we'll have Trump vs. Biden II in November. I hope not. I'm rooting for Haley on the Republican side and will have a heart attack if the Dems ever put up someone I can vote for. 

Today is the New Hampshire Primary. Last week, Trump trumped the Iowa Caucus. Yes, there's Super Tuesday coming up, but unless we have a surprise today, it will be a uphill battle for anybody other than the former President. True, Biden got the nomination four years ago while not being in the race for the early contests, but there's nobody like that on the Democrat side.

Well, maybe the Libertarians can field a candidate that like Johnson looks credible for the office and like Jorgenson is a person I am rooting for.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment