Thursday, January 25, 2024

BOOK REVIEW - AWAKEN YOUR CALL: DAILY READINGS FOR PROPHETS AND INTERCESSORS BY JOHN ECKHARDT



When I saw the title "Awaken Your Call," I put this book by John Eckhardt on my reading list. In some ways, it's not what I expected, partially because I didn't look at the fine print on the cover. Nevertheless, I'm grateful I read this book.

The subtitle mentions it's a book of Daily Readings. This book is designed to be a daily devotional for a month, with 30 readings. Each is short, a 5-10 minute read each, so it's easy to read one each day. The sections follow a theme, but it seems they're a collection of readings rather than a book written in 30 short chapters, if you follow my point.

This book is written from a theology that differs from mine. For example, the author identifies himself as an apostle; I've spent most of my life in churches that believe there are no apostles or prophets since the apostolic era (1st century) ended.  However, there are items from his readings that I could learn from.

One thing I admire about this book is that it's written with the goal of encouraging believers to operate in their calling. Combined with that is his exhortation to those who were in local churches that preached the Word but did not encourage the prophetic calling to stay in those churches. Too often, believers who disagree with others on a key point treat them as if they rejected the truth. I'm blessed when I find someone without that attitude.



No comments:

Post a Comment