Sunday, October 22, 2023

SUNDAY PSALMS PART 42 OF 48 - PSALM 138

 

A millstone, with a plaque containing Mathew 18;6, at CEF Headquarters, Warrenton, MO.


1   I will praise You with my whole heart;
    Before the gods I will sing praises to You.
2   I will worship toward Your holy temple,
    And praise Your name
    For Your lovingkindness and Your truth;
    For You have magnified Your word above all Your name.
3   In the day when I cried out, You answered me,
    And made me bold with strength in my soul.
4  All the kings of the earth shall praise You, O Lord,
    When they hear the words of Your mouth.
5   Yes, they shall sing of the ways of the Lord,
    For great is the glory of the Lord.
6   Though the Lord is on high,
    Yet He regards the lowly;
    But the proud He knows from afar.
7   Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me;
    You will stretch out Your hand
    Against the wrath of my enemies,
    And Your right hand will save me.
8   The Lord will perfect that which concerns me;
    Your mercy, O Lord, endures forever;
    Do not forsake the works of Your hands.
                    Psalm 138:1-8, New King James Version

Another of my favorite Psalms. I find it interesting it says He exalts His Word above His name. Do you think this could refer to Scripture?

I also am encouraged by verses 3 and 7. The former says God makes me bold with strength in my soul - Don't we all need this kind of boldness? The latter talks about God reviving us when we walk in the midst of trouble (am I the only one who thinks of Psalm 23:4, "Yea, though I walk in the valley of the shadow of death?) and stretching out His hand against the wrath of our enemies.

One of my favorite songs, by one of my favorite singers, is based on verse six: "Tho He Be High" by Becky Ugartechea. This verse makes me think of Jesus saying that to enter his kingdom, we should become as little children (Matthew 18:4). This in turn makes me think of Child Evangelism Fellowship. In the front of the building is a millstone with a metal plaque reading Matthew 18:6:"But woe to those who make one of these little ones who believe in my name stumble, for it would be better for them if a millstone were tied around their neck and they were drowned in the midst of the sea."

Finally, God will perfect - or complete - all that concerns us. Isn't it wonderful to know, as it says here and in Philippians 1:6, that God isn't through working on us yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment