Sunday, October 8, 2023

SUNDAY PSALMS PART 40 OF 48 - PSALM 131

Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Park (some of these birds are native to the area, like the ducks.
 

1   LORD, my heart is not haughty,
    Nor my eyes lofty.
    Neither do I concern myself with great matters,
    Nor with things too profound for me.
2  Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul,
    Like a weaned child with his mother;
    Like a weaned child is my soul within me.
3  O Israel, hope in the LORD
    From this time forth and forever.
        Psalm 131:1-3, New King James Version
 

How often are we guilty of violating verse one of this short and sweet Psalm? No, I'm not saying that your heart's haughty or your eyes lofty. But do we concern ourselves with great matters, with things too profound for us?

Christians have unfortunately done this for centuries. The debate of the relationship of free will and God's Sovereignty/Election has been going on a millennium and a half, and yet I hear people who think they have the final answer on it and why they're right. The same is true in dealing with eschatology (end-times, Bible prophecy) or the gifts of the Spirit.

When I was selecting a photo for this blog, I thought the picture of ducks and swans in the pond (or is it a lake) at the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden would picture the calmness in verse 2. Of course, is it completely quiet? That pond isn't far from roaring lions and trumpeting elephants, and it's right by Gibbon Island - Gibbons are known for "singing," but it isn't either quiet or melodious. But as Christians, we can be clam and restful trusting in Christ in spite of all the clamor around us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment