Friday, November 4, 2022

INTERVIEW WITH SINGER/SONGWRITER/AUTHOR TONI LaSHAUN


JR:
Welcome to my blog, Toni! Could you start off by telling how you came to Christ and what interested you in music?

TL: I grew up going to church and I accepted Christ at a very young age and was baptized. Then, as a preteen, I reaffirmed my commitment to Christ. Music has always been a part of my life. My parents surrounded us with music for as long as I could remember, but I didn't really gain confidence as a singer until I started doing musical theater as a sophomore in high school.  

JR: I learned about your music when voting on the WVIU awards, and was especially moved by your song "You Chose Me." What was it nominated for? Could you tell us about the inspiration for that song and what it's theme is? Is this your most recent project? 

TL: "You Chose Me" is nominated in the "Songs That Remind Us of Our Purpose" category for the WVIU Awards. The song was inspired at a time when I was questioning my worth, struggling to find my identity and wondering about my purpose. I was discouraged and disappointed with some of my personal relationships. In my quiet time, I was reminded by Scripture that I'm chosen by God. "You Chose Me" was the fourth single released from the "Strength To Soar" EP. The EP is my first EP and it is out now (released September 30th). 

JR: Your bio mentions that you co-wrote your first cut "Black Sheep" with Brian White and Dave Quirk. As a frustrated song-writer who only rarely has co-written, what is it like co-writing? Who have you had the honor of co-writing with? Has the co-writing gone to unexplored genres like country or heavy metal?

TL: My first co-writing experience was through a Global Songwriters Connection FOCUS event. Co-writing was life-changing! I am really strong with ideas and lyrics and it was awesome to be able to work with people who have other strengths to complete songs. I've worked with several professional co-writers like: Brian White, Tony Wood, Don Poythress, Keesy Timmer and Seth Mosley. I've also met some lifelong friends through co-writing. I think I've co-written the most songs with Jared KF Jones, who produced my EP. I mostly write gospel, CCM and worship, but I have a couple of songs with some country flavor. 

JR: Besides songwriting, you also wrote a book Pray While You're Prey. That sounds intriguing. Would you like to tell us about it?

TL: Pray While You're Prey was birthed out of my frustration as a single Christian. I journaled prayers and wrote out Scriptures that helped me deal with my single season. I shared it with a few friends and they thought it was very helpful. I knew how alone I felt in my situation and I wanted others to know they weren't alone, so I turned it into a book. About seven years later, I added a devotional journal. Then, in 2015, I re-released the book and started publishing the devotional plans on the YouVersion Bible App. I get messages all the time from single Christians about how helpful it is and I'm honored to be able to help and point them to the hope they have in Christ. 

JR: Finally, your web-site tells me you're a worship team leader. How do you select songs for worship, and how does it compare with selecting songs for an album or for a concert? 

TL: For services, honestly, I pray and ask God what the congregation needs to hear and what will compliment the sermons. My pastor and I never really consult. I just go in Planning Center and listen as the Holy Spirit leads. More often than not, at least one song has an uncanny connection with the sermon. When choosing songs to record for the EP, my main goal was songs of hope and encouragement. With other songs, I choose to record or demo those with the greatest chance at finding a home in sync or with another artist.

JR: Thank you very much for your time. What's coming up next musically (or as an author)? How can we keep up with you on-line? 

TL: Right now, I will continue writing and promoting "Strength To Soar." I have a song I was to release next year for Resurrection Sunday. I also have a bunch of holiday songs that I want to record for a holiday EP in 2023 and sync opportunities. Anyone interested in my music or writing can find me at tonilashaunmusic.com, or on Facebook (@tonilashaunchristianmusic) or Instagram (@tonilashaunmusic). Everything is in my Linktree: https://linktr.ee/tonilashaun.
Thank you so much for interviewing me!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment