Tuesday, November 15, 2022

INTERVIEW WITH NICOLE DRENNAN, AKA BRAVE WRSHP

Nicole Drennan (Brave WRSHP), with Becca Sugg of Reclaim The Day (right).

Have I told you I had the honor of going to Get To The Point Festival this June? Repeatedly? Maybe because I've had the privilege of interviewing individuals from four of the six participating bands/soloists. Well, I'm happy to add a fifth: Brave WRSHP. And for my 300th blog, no less!

JR: Welcome to my blog. I’d like to hear about how you came to Christ. 

ND: Thank you so much for having me! Well, I came to Christ back in 2009. I spent some years of my early childhood in the church, but never really knew Jesus until I was 14 years old. At the time, I had been involved with drugs and alcohol while being influenced by some of my older high school friends at the time. 

I remember sharing a class with Rebecca Sugg from Reclaim The Day. She had invited me to her youth group and there was one week I had gone, and the youth pastor had shared his testimony. He had also been involved with drugs and alcohol when he was my age and he began to share how Jesus had saved him and changed his life. That night I went up to him and told him all that I was doing and how I wanted Jesus to save me. He encouraged me to share my story with the other kids in the youth group and the following week, another kid came to me and opened up about how she had also been doing the same thing and knew Jesus was calling her to repentance. I remember being so astounded that even then, Jesus was using my testimony to help others in my life.  

JR: Could you tell us about how you got into music? When did you start focusing on worship music, and what’s the origin of your artist name Brave WRSHP? 

ND: I grew up loving to sing and write music. As a little girl, I would never sing in front of anyone, haha. I would sit in my bedroom with headphones on and just sing for hours. I kept multiple notebooks of lyrics I would write and hope someday get the chance to share the songs. Music has always provided a safe place for me to escape. 

Around the time I started going to youth group, my parents had bought me a guitar so that I could start learning to play and be able to put chords and melodies together for the songs I would write. One night at youth group, my pastor heard me singing and approached me about joining the Sunday worship team. I was so nervous, but said yes I would join. My now best friend Miranda Brown from “Inarticulate Bones,” was also on the worship team and had invited me for a sleepover so that we could practice all the songs. She taught me how to harmonize and eventually we would sing duets on Sunday mornings. 

When I was 18 I heard the call from God to serve in music evangelism. I had no idea what that would look like but I had never been more confident in my life. I had told my parents I was going to take a year off before college because God was calling me to do this and they agreed. 

The next 5+ years were a rollercoaster of following God’s plans. I joined a post hardcore/ progessive metal worship band called Within Thy Walls and wrote and recorded a 3 song EP. Shortly after that my bandmates had merged with A World Apart’s bandmates to form a duel vocalist, hard rock/worship band. A year or so later Becca Sugg (i and I stepped away from the band and started a worship project called The Upright. We began serving as worship leaders for a church in Indianapolis called The Upper Room. A couple years later, we were asked to join a band called Waiting For Ravens. I played auxiliary guitar for about 3 years. In 2019 I stepped away from the band because God was calling me back to focus on solely worship. 

The name Brave WRSHP was rooted from that moment in my life. I had a lot of difficult decisions to make that left me with deep wounds that God is still healing. He spoke to me and called me to be brave which has become this sort of mantra for the project. I wanted to create a project of worship that was rooted from that place of being in deep pain, suffering etc. I have learned over the years that worshiping God can be easy when things are going well. It is when you choose to worship him in the midst of suffering, addiction, pain, abuse etc., that it is difficult and honestly more intimate. I once heard someone say that these moments in our lives are the only times we get to choose to worship him in spite of suffering etc., because when we get to heaven we won’t endure such things. 

JR: Congratulations on being nominated for “Worship Vocalist on the Rise'' and for Worship Project of the Year with the WVIU Radio Music Awards. Would you like to tell us about that project?

ND: Thank you so much! It is quite the unexpected honor, and I am so grateful for the nomination and all that WVIU Radio does to help independent Christian artists. With Brave WRSHP, I have been given a vision for writing throne room worship songs for the king. There are a lot of amazing worship artists and groups out there, but I feel like the songs that God has given me are a bit different from the normal worship songs on the radio and such. A mentor of mine, encouraged me when I had started this project, to spend time away from the stage and focus on just worshiping him in my secret place. I spent a couple of years taking time off to focus on this and my relationship with him. I learned that my worship and the songs he had given me to write, were more intimate than anything I could have ever imagined. I look forward to getting the chance to share them soon!

JR: I had the honor of hearing you at the Get to the Point Festival along with other bands I’ve interviewed on this blog (Reclaim the Day, Divine Martyr, Tempus Unum, and Hush Harbor). Are there any venues that you sang at which that stood out?  

ND: Yes! I have had the privilege to play at a few different venues over the past couple of years, but The Point Church and Community Center, where Get To the Point Festival was hosted, is my favorite. The Point Church and Community Center was my home church for many years, the place where it all started for me. It was an honor to get to lead worship again there and be able to see and reconnect with so many friends and family that had come!

JR: What are the greatest challenges you face in your ministry? Who has God used- those you know personally (friends and family) and those you don’t (radio/TV ministers, other musicians, authors/novelists)-to encourage you?

ND: The greatest challenges I face are rooted in past mistakes. There was a period in my life where I had fallen into sin while in ministry and I had to take a step back to repent and refocus. Unfortunately, there were people who had tried to tell me I should never be in ministry again and that I was no longer qualified. These comments hurt me deeply and led me to believe that God could no longer use me because I was too broken, too damaged, too dirty to be able to serve him and his kingdom. 

There were some amazing friends in my life who have prayed with me and encouraged me for years to get back up and keep going. They remind me that God can use any circumstance for his good and that he makes beauty from ashes. I have learned that God does not call the qualified, but qualifies the called. Chris Bossum, Becca Sugg, Miranda Brown, my parents and my significant other are just a few of the many people who have fought by my side and encouraged me relentlessly. Tullian Tchividjian, the grandson of Billy Graham, is one of the pastors I have been influenced by. He shares a similar story to mine and has encouraged me greatly in his sermons.  

JR: Thank you for your time. What is coming up on the horizon? How can we keep up with your ministry? 

ND: Thank you again so much for having me! I am currently in the studio working on releasing an EP for next year. I am also joining “For His Purpose” which is another amazing up and coming worship project founded by Trent Russell from The Persuaded. I am so excited to be able to release these songs that God has laid on my heart! 

With Miranda Brown (right). Photo courtesy of Jeanette Yoder.
The best way to keep up with Brave WRSHP is by following the page on Facebook and Instagram @bravewrshpofficial, to keep up to date on any upcoming shows and single releases!



No comments:

Post a Comment