Sunday, August 7, 2022

SUNDAY HYMNS, PART 1 OF 22: AM I A SOLDIER OF THE CROSS?

Statue of Major General Henry W. Lawton, Garfield Park Conservatory, Indianapolis. Photo by Jeff Reynolds.

 

Am I a soldier of the cross,

A follower of the Lamb?

And shall I fear to own His cause 

Or blush to speak His name? 


Must I be carried to the skies

    On flowery beds of ease

While others fought to win the prize

    And sealed through bloody seas?


Are there no foes for me to face?

    Must I not stem the flood?

Is this vile world a friend to grace

    To help me on to God?


Sure, I must fight if I would reign;

    Increase my courage, Lord:

I'll bear the toil, endure the pain,

    Supported by Thy word.


SOME THOUGHTS ON ABOVE HYMN

  • Becky and I attended Arlington Avenue Baptist for years. I mentioned it would be appropriate for this to be the official church hymn, since it is set to the tune called ... you guessed it ... Arlington.
  • The words of this hymn were written by Isaac Watts.
  • The meter of this hymn is Common Meter (8,6,8,6), called this because of the number of songs that have this meter. An interest thought for me is to sing this to the tune of "Ghost Riders In The Sky."

 INTRODUCTION TO THIS SERIES:

  • From now until January 1st, I will be sharing one of my favorite hymn lyrics each Sunday. 
  • The first 16 weeks will be in alphabetic order.
  • Advent and Christmas hymns will be featured from the Sunday following Thanksgiving (1st Sunday of Advent) to Christmas day, and I've got a hymn lined up for New Year's Day.
  • I debated having the picture on the top of being a hymnal open to the hymn of the day, but I decided to have a photo I took that I consider appropriate for the song.


No comments:

Post a Comment