Sunday, May 1, 2022

INTRODUCTION - A LOOK AT PROPHECY PART 1 OF 5

The Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog by Caspar David Friedrich

Are there modern day prophets? 

Has the gift of prophecy ceased? 

How do we determine if a prophecy/prophet is really of God?

Today, I'm going to be starting a series on prophecy. These questions and others will be dealt with.

Concerning the issue of Spiritual Gifts, which includes prophecy, there are three views. These are:

  1. Charismatic/Pentecostal - not only are all the gifts still in operation today, but are also an indication of God being at work today.
  2. Continuist - while not emphasizing them as much as the Charismatic, they believe that all gifts still exist, as God chooses to use them.
  3. Cessationist - believe that some of the gifts were given for the purpose of establishing the church and have ceased upon the completion of the Biblical canon and the death of the apostles. Examples of those are tongues and prophecy.

Which am I? Good question. Though my theological training is primarily cessationist, I'm not convinced. I'd probably fall into the continuist camp, though I believe God can according His will cause a gift to cease in a region/local church or for a period of time or permanently.

What reasons are there for prophecy to have ceased? Primarily, because prophecy involves special revelation. I've heard some state that if a prophecy/new revelation is in agreement with Scripture, it's unnecessary, and if it doesn't it's unbiblical. One reason for this view is the belief that the Canon was closed with the completion of the New Testament books and the death of the Apostles. But does that mean that God never uses the gift of prophecy?

Do I see someone raising their hand? Do I hear someone asking if I believe the gift has ceased? I guess I haven't seen or heard the above, partially because I'm typing this in a room I'm occupying by myself, and partially because you're guessing I have my doubts. You'd guess correctly. If prophecy has ceased, then:

  • Why is it included as one of the four or five gifts given to help equip the saints (Ephesians 4:11)?
  • Why does Paul spend a whole chapter (1 Corinthians 14) to convince us one ceased gift is more preferable to another ceased gift? 
  • Why is prophecy one of two gifts mentioned in all three lists of spiritual gifts (Romans 12:6-8; 1 Corinthians 12; and Ephesians 4:11) if it is going to be absent at least 95% of the church age? (The other gift is teaching, which is not considered a gift that will cease.)
  • Why does Paul tell us not to despise prophecies (1 Thessalonians 5:20) if there aren't going to be any to despise?

While this study will not ignore other gifts, my focus is on the gift of prophecy. Part of it is that there are, as there always have been, those who claim to be speaking for God who are merely claiming their opinions are God's. The other part is that we may not be listening for God when we should. 

Now, some of you already have made up your minds and are already outlining the many ways I'm wrong. Hey, I could be. Or I could be right. Why not let me continue and let you decide where I've got a point and where I don't based on what I write, not preconceived notions? 

No comments:

Post a Comment