Thursday, December 16, 2021

MOVIE REVIEW: SAVING CHRISTMAS BY KIRK CAMERON

 

There is debate among Christians whether to celebrate Christmas (and Easter) and if so, which elements should be kept and which discarded. This movie attempts to defend many of the current trappings of Christmas as part of celebrating Christ's birth. Unfortunately, it could have been done better. It ignored several arguments by those who consider Christmas a pagan holiday, as well as being comfortable with our materialistic society.

Additionally, this video seemed to be made with a goal of how long it should be and left me feeling that scenes were longer than they needed to be to reach the target.

Kirk Cameron starts the video with some thoughts, including the importance of stories and how we often don't have real bad guys and tamer heroes. To be honest, I found it ironic because the story told is a Christmas Carol Lite. You have Christian as the nicer Scrooge who instead of being a miser is one who thinks money spent on Christmas can help the poor instead. Instead of three ghosts, you have three points of holiday tradition, where Christian learns something new.

I have my doubts the anti-Christmas Christians will buy the arguments. They probably will be glad to tell you their concerns which this film overlooked. Becky and I were both highly disappointed with it. It is rare I give a project less than 5 (out of 5) stars; this I gave a 3 star review to.

To be honest, I think I could do a better job, and will attempt to in a blog next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment