"With All Its Teeth: Sex, Violence, Profanity, and the Death of Christian Art," written by novelist, art-punk musician, and pastor Joshua S. Porter (odd combiniation, isn't it?) deals with these questions and others.
The preface and "Act I: What is Art?" deals with the difficulty of defining art, that God is an artist and the world and Scripture are among His works of art, and the fact that art is not always beautiful or comfortable. At the end of chapter 1:1, Porter states, "To take issue with art is to take issue with God,. To devalue art is to devalue God." (p. 33). The remainder of the book has sections on what art is for, what to do with art, and dealing with concerns we have dealt with by art such as sex and violence. He concludes with how to move toward a Christian Appreciation of Art.
There aren't many books I consider rereading. This is an exception. It gave me things to think about, and some of those themes will come out in my blog. For example, most of my novel reading and music listening is focused on the Christian market. He hasn't changed my mind about my approach, and I'll be glad to tell you why, but I am stronger on that being my opinion and calling, and applaud those who take a different direction.
I recommend this book very highly. I think pastors should read this, as well as artists and relatives of artists who wish they'd get a real job. I will give put an advisory on it - there may be parts you consider offensive. For example, when quoting someone using cuss words, he includes cuss words.

No comments:
Post a Comment