Tuesday, September 17, 2024

INTERVIEW WITH MUSICIAN EDDIE KROSS

Eddie Kross (left) at Kingdom Come Festival 2024 with Cole Plumley (drums) and Shawn Short (bass) 

It's a pleasure to interview Eddie Kross. He's part of the prayer group where we pray for Christian artists (musicians and novelists and the like). He has a concert in Lansing, MI coming up - I've got a poster for it at the bottom of this blog.  

JR: Welcome to the blog! I’ll start by asking how you came to Christ.

EK: I came from an abusive home and was in foster homes, juvy and other behavioral "placements" as a young teen... eventually ending up on the streets.  

One day when I was looking for a certain someone at their brother's house, I was met by three ladies having a prayer meeting.  God introduced himself to me at that meeting... and I ended up on my face before a Holy God that knew everything I had ever been through, and knew me by name.  Through His spiritual gifts at work through those Christian ladies, God said to me that He saw the times I had wept on my bed, crying stains on my pillow... that He knew what each tear stain had been and said that He had stationed an angel by my bedside to bring my every petition to Him.  

He went on to tell me: "This will be the covenant between you and Me: I will be your God, and you will be my son.  Over the next three seasons and I will make your ways My ways.  And I will make your music, My music.  And you will play My music to the masses." After that I immediately got off the streets and began to devour the Bible, finding myself in every verse.  I learned to work hard and went forward and upward with God, in life.  In 1994 I Got married and started a family.

JR: When did you start getting interested in music, and what led you to get into Christian music?

EK: I loved the sound of overdriven guitars from the time I first heard them (That, and synthesizers!)  Laying on my bed listening to the heavy metal greats of the 80's on my Walkman while looking at the artwork and reading the lyrics on the backs of the album covers was a humongous part of my growing up.

At some point I realized I wanted to be playing music like that.  So I saved money from a summer job and bought myself a nice Yamaha electric guitar and an amp (Peavey Envoy, I think?)  I was about 15 years old.

Fast forward to the time when God caught ahold of me at 19 and I started to seek "His music."  I had long since lost my Peavey and stuff.  Someone had given me an acoustic guitar, though.  

As I began writing lyrics and chord progressions while praying and worshiping God, I really felt like He was giving me the words.  And I was reading verses in the Bible like where Jesus is telling His disciples: "Don't worry before hand what you will say when you are brought before nations, The Holy Spirit will give you the words to say."  Plus, the words of the songs I was writing were riddled with stories and verses from the Bible... so in a way they were literally His Words.  I really believed he was giving me His music.

As I would go on to play these songs as a guest at churches, at backyard BBQs and really everywhere I could get the chance, I began to see God move on people's hearts.  Things would happen.  One time while playing a song called "Broken Hearts" the entire congregation began spontaneously weeping and people just began huddling together and praying together... It was amazing to see God move!

Eventually I would be in some Christian bands and over the years I have played everything from blues, jazz, alternative, country rock, reggae, metal...

JR: I enjoyed listening to your music, especially “Me Again.” Would you like to tell us about that song and also your most recent project?

EK: After I came back from fighting in Iraq with the US Army in 2005 I spent about a decade running away from God... in the bottle... smokin' dope and other sins I'm ashamed of. In 2014 I returned to God and He delivered me from all those addictions cold turkey (March 3rd, 2014!).

Shortly after that I developed some pretty serious medical problems and I didn't think I would ever be able to sing again.  I stopped playing music altogether for a while. Then I thought, well maybe I can record an instrumental album.  I worked on that for a while but then I cried out to God: "Please God, I don't want to be in exile any longer... Please Lord, let me sing Your praises once again!"  I vowed that if He would let me sing again I would sing every single note for Him! Wouldn't you know it, he gave me back my voice and I began writing Christian hard rock/metal songs.

Sometimes Satan works pretty hard at reminding me of my wayward choices during that falling away period I went through and also the brokenness I experienced as a child. And I think a lot of times people get these labels attached to ourselves... It's like we hear voices from the past saying: 

   "You're not good enough."

    "You're a failure."

    "You never had any friends."

    "You're a drunk."

    "You ARE the sins you've committed!"

"ME AGAIN" is sung from the perspective of someone questioning those (demonic) voices and reflecting on choices that they've made.  And ultimately longing for peace in their life... and to be set free from the past and hoping for a bright future.

Upcoming projects? Well, right now I'm busting my keister getting ready for this show we are putting on September 21st in Lansing, MI! We're actually throwing the concert so I have been programming lights and doing a lot of promo, organizing volunteers, etc, etc.

JR: If I remember correctly, you were at the Kingdom Come Festival this year. What was that like? I was there, but I was helping at the welcome station when you were on.

EK: It was awesome.  Man, Chris Bousum and the folks that put on that show really know how to take care of the artists and bands!  That was our 2nd stop on our little REBORN tour and believe me, it was the highlight of the summer.  I think because we're new on the scene this year we were a surprise to folks at the show, too.  We played a great set and the response afterward was overwhelming (All Glory To God).  Plus, it was awesome to get to see and meet other great Christian metal bands that were there.

JR: For years, I’ve had the impression that Christian rock is on the front lines of spiritual warfare, with attacks coming from satan, from the world, and from the church. Would you agree? If so, what does this look like, and how has Christ and other brothers and sisters come and helped fight with you?

EK: Let me tell ya, it has been one constant setback after another ever since we put our hands to the plow. Cancelled flights, sickness, drummer got bit by a deadly spider, people you're counting on just drop off at the last second, misunderstandings and conflict, people being quick to get offended and worrying over penny-anny stuff.... I'll tell ya.  Don't get into Christian metal, if your "metal" hasn't been tested.  Because it's not for the weak.

There are some really great servants of the Lord who are out there though... people who are specifically praying for and supporting Christian rock and metal bands in any way they can.  Thank God for you guys!

JR: Thank you for your time. Do you have any web-pages to keep up with what you’re doing? Anything interesting coming up? And anything else you’d like to share?

EK: Hey, thanks Jeffrey!  It's been fun.

Here are some links, including one for our upcoming show! We are really asking people to listen EDDIE KROSS REBORN on Spotify and to please add those three songs to their playlists.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/0jOU3OuKuf9JRAk8kT6wRT

Webpage: https://eddiekross.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EddieKrossOfficial

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@eddiekross2130

Underground Christian Rock Show! (Facebook event) https://www.facebook.com/share/J7zkKqfC1G5WxR5q/

After this last show of the tour season we're gonna focus on releasing all the video footage we've accumulated from the shows this summer.  Including our first official Music video. And focus on increasing our social media, Spotify viewership, etc. 
...and we have some new music to release this fall and winter!









No comments:

Post a Comment