Sunday, April 16, 2023

SUNDAY PSALMS PART 15 OF 48 - PSALM 62

 

Southeastway Park, Indianapolis, IN


1     Truly my soul silently waits for God;
      From Him comes my salvation.
2   He only is my rock and my salvation;
     He is my defense; I shall not be greatly moved.
3  How long will you attack a man?
     You shall be slain, all of you,
     Like a leaning wall and a tottering fence.
4  They only consult to cast him down from his high position;
     They delight in lies;
     They bless with their mouth,
     But they curse inwardly.
                                            Selah

5   My soul, wait silently for God alone,
     For my expectation is from Him.
6  He only is my rock and my salvation;
     He is my defense; I shall not be moved.
7   In God is my salvation and my glory;
     The rock of my strength,
     And my refuge, is in God.
8   Trust in Him at all times, you people;
     Pour out your heart before Him;
     God is a refuge for us.
                                              Selah

9  Surely men of low degree are a vapor,
    Men of high degree are a lie;
    If they are weighed on the scales,
    They are altogether lighter than vapor.
10 Do not trust in oppression,
     Nor vainly hope in robbery;
     If riches increase,
     Do not set your heart on them.
11   God has spoken once,
     Twice I have heard this:
     That power belongs to God.
12  Also to You, O Lord, belongs mercy;
     For You render to each one according to his work.
                                    Psalm 62:1-12, New King James Version

 

Some people think that politics and faith should be kept separate. Of course, we're aware of those who think anything dealing with religion (especially Christianity) has no place in politics, and probably not in the public square. There are Christians as well that basically see themselves as being in the Kingdom of God and politics being the Kingdom of the Devil and don't want to defile themselves with the latter.

However, besides seeing the obvious focus on trusting in God as our Rock, our Defense, our Salvation, and the Righteous and Merciful Judge who will give to each according to their work, I also see things that make me think of American politics.

For example, look at verses 3-4. What comes to mind when I read this? The impeachments of Clinton and Trump. In both cases, the opposition party were on the lookout for any reason to try to remove the President.

I also think of politics when I get to verse 10. Sometimes, the government itself is oppressive. Other times, people tolerate the oppression of those they disagree with. And robbery? While the Libertarian thought of "Taxation Is Theft" might be exaggerated, it's not off-base, and some favor the rich - meaning those who are better-off than they are - to pay "their fair share." But let's not forget the last part of the verse. There are people who trust in their riches.  

The reality is we should put our trust and hope in God. We should not trust in ourselves or in Government or anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment