Tuesday, June 15, 2021

REVIEW OF "TOD" BY TOD MOSES


 



I'm going to take a slight detour. Most of my reviews and interviews have been focused on explicitly Christian music/fiction/non-fiction. But allow me the opportunity to promote the latest project by my friend Tod Moses.
 
I've known Tod and his music for over three decades. Several of his songs have blessed me over the years, such as "Master In Disguise," "Learn The Lingo," "Chasing After The Wind," "Stand and Deliver," "Salt Shaker," "Higher Ground," and "Standing Behind Me." He's commented that I remember songs of his he's forgotten.
 
One other memory I want to mention involving Tod before getting to his latest project. I decided to put together a Christmas musical titled "Viewpoints," looking at Christ's birth from the views of different people involved like Mary, the Innkeeper, and the Shepherds. I asked several of my songwriter friends to help out., including Tod, who did a great song from the view of Herod. Afterwards, he said he'd like to help with another song. I had one composer back out, so Tod and I co-wrote a song from the view of the Priests who knew where Christ was born but made no move to join the Wise Men in seeing the Messiah titled "Do I Really Care?" That song is one of my favorites of the songs I've written.
 
 But enough about what happened in '93. Let's move to 2020, when Tod released his latest project, "Tod." Stylistically it's different from his other projects I listened to, including fronting the band Fujita 5 - this is a little more blues influenced. And while I'm not a blues fan, and while this and some of his more recent releases are more mainstream than Christian, I completely enjoyed this collection.

He has a pair of strong singles from the project: "Time In The Country" and "Can't Stand Another Day." Other songs that stood out were "Gone Missing" (also released as a single a few years back by Fujita 5) and "Sing On."
 
I've had several great conversations with him on music, Christianity, and other things over the years, and I have appreciated his friendship since we've met in '88.
 
Do you have any friends who are musicians? How have they blessed you?



No comments:

Post a Comment