Tuesday, December 8, 2020

BOOK REVIEW - A LIGHTED LAMP: SCENES OF CHRISTMAS THROUGH TIME


 

 If you'd like a book to get you in the mood for Christmas, look no further.

This is a unique collection. It contains excerpts from Crow's previous novels looking at Christmas. Considering her books range from historical to contemporary, you have a nice kaleidoscope of the wintertime holiday from a medieval Scottish castle to celebrations at a modern day monastery.

In reading this book, you'll find different emotions as you visit settings on both sides of the pond. You also feel the anxieties, fears, and dangers faced by the characters as well as the hope, joy, and redemption of Christ's First Advent on the earth.

I have read short story collections by a few of my favorite authors, and those have turned out to be my least favorite book. THIS IS AN EXCEPTION! I really enjoyed these excerpts, and some of them have me interested in reading the whole book.

You may have noticed that this is the second Donna Fletcher Crow that I have reviewed for this blog. One interesting thing I'll mention - in the two most recent Monastery Murders novels, I was included in her list of rave reviews. But I had the honor of being asked to write a promotional blurb for the back cover.




No comments:

Post a Comment